Followers

Monday, June 17, 2013

Art for the Young!!!

Last week was a really interesting week for me.   My son is grown and I kept him very involved in art projects when he was young, but then he grew into all sorts of sports and the art was relegated to the back seat.   My friend Michele was going to teach a class or two for The Studios of Key West and I casually mentioned that I would be glad to come to a couple of her classes and take pictures so she would have them for her blog.    Well, those couple of classes turned into 6 days of classes and I went everyday and I must say it was certainly fun.  

The first five days the classes were held at the East Martello Museum.   The view is inspiring in to many ways. 




The first day the kids did flags.   They could decorate them any way they wanted to.  

Sample Flags:

 Lots of stamping on this flag.
 I think what I was most amazed at was the abandoned way they stamped.   Most adults try to plan out the whole project and in general just over think a project like this.   Kids do it for the original purpose, and that is to create something fun.  

 
Day 2 and 3 will be devoted to masks.   Some of the samples that Michelle brought. 
 
 
The masks were constructed by things that are normally recycled; and what a clever way of recycling these items.  





After assembling the mask with boxes and plastic containers, it was covered in shrink wrap.  


 Day 3
A bunch of really cute masks. 
 Really cute teeth! 
 Elephant
 The flower on the hat is really cute.
 Elephant embellished. 
 I just love the glasses on this mask. 

Day 4  
 
Michele is a fantastic assemblage Artists and these are a couple of her pieces.   I feel inspiration every time I see them.  
 


 Lots of stuff to work with!!!




 Lots of lovely finished pieces.   



After the boxes, they made snap bracelets!!!  






Very cute bracelets.   They just snap on around the wrist.

Day 5 - They made greeting cards.   Most made Father's Day cards, and one made a birthday card.   They also made puzzles that were put on tongue depressors and then cut apart to form a secret puzzle.  




Day 6 - different location.   The site was changed to The Studio's space.   They did more bracelets.  There was one of the same kids in the class, but Michele, for the most part,  had a whole new group of children. 

 Lots of embellishments to choose from. 


This young lady had made one earlier in the week and most excited to make more snap bracelets. 
 
I must say that my only task was to take pictures but it wore me out.   I can only imagine how tired Michele must have been.    It was great fun.   It appeared that all the kids had a great time.   I was glad to be a part of it in some small way. 

No comments: