Followers

Monday, May 13, 2013

Art and Soul Retreat - Virginia Beach - Trades

When I first decided that this was the year that I would go to an Art and Soul Retreat, I kept finding mention of 'trades' on their website and also on their yahoo site.   Well, I kinda believed they might be like swaps in the miniature groups I belong to, but wasn't sure.   Bases on their frequently asked question section, they described trades as:

Trades are typically small items made by you (or packets of goodies that you put together) that you bring and trade with others who have made things. They’re not required, but are a fun way to share your art with others. Trading can take place anywhere and everywhere at the retreat—just ask if anyone’s trading, and you’re sure to get a response!

Well, that didn't seem too hard, but how many do you make.   Well, that was a fairly frequent question and the most repeated answer was 25 trades.   Okay, that's doable - but what to \make.   I love wire wrapped beach glass and thought that would be what I would do.     However, the closer I would get to the retreat, the more concerned that I would not have enough so I made some charms and some carved wine corks that work for lots of stamping needs in art projects.


I packed everything in little zip lock bags with my blog and email address.   I gave everyone a choice and I was actually surprised at how popular the carved corks were.   I know I love all the ones I made (hearts, squares, crosses, etc).   My little red sheets say 'Made in the Raggedy Kingdom" by Sheila A. Barker.   I work where all my Raggedy Ann are displayed.  


Okay, I am armed and ready to trade.   Well that is a bit imtimidating.    I was also surprised at the number of responses of "I didn't know what to make".   Well, that is part of the purpose of my post.   About anything is acceptable.

 The above is four trades.   A pair of earrings, a collection of things to use in creating other things (rhinestones, beads, compass, etc), an animal print dust cover for your cell phone and a magnet.
 Four more trades.   Peacock Hair Clip, Book Mark, Artist Trading Card with Charm and a collection of other items to use. 
 Four more Trades.   Artist trading cards, stamps to use, and a collection of little treasures. 
Here is a wire wrapped pendant, a fabric flower,lots of animal charms and stickers  and a little book.  

I traded with 16 people so I brought some of my trades home - not a problem, I will use them next Retreat.    

Just about anything is suitable for a trade and not all artists do the same types of art so you are bound to please a lot of people and not so much with others.     All in all I was very pleased with the trades.   I also gave some trades to each of my instructors and to others I met at lunch.   Hopefully the next time more people will want to trade.   It was great fun.

6 comments:

Leanne K said...

Have been following your blog via email for quite awhile... so added my icon...my sister wants to attend an Art & Soul next fall...am glad to see you posting about one...and reading it saw your comment about miniatures...and then recognized your raggedykingdom name...small world. I see you post, not sure if it is on QC or Small & Smaller, or NAME online site...small world...love your blog.

Leanne K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pandamonion said...

Sheila, I received one of your cork stamps. I love it..thank you and I hope I'll see you again at a future A&S!...Ellen

Jen Crossley said...

Loved meeting you In Virginia Beach and so loved your necklaces you made in my class. Jen Crossley

Theresa Merkling said...

Thanks for sharing - I generally skip the swaps because the planning overwhelms me... maybe you've given me enough confidence to make some up for future events. Thanks for sharing. Were you in the charm swap? The Raggedy thing is tweaking my memory...

Unknown said...

Leanne - kinda a dual identity. I love both my blogs and I really have met some interesting and talented people in both. Ellen, I'm so glad you liked the cork. Hope it works well for you. Jen, I will write about your class tomorrow or the next day. I loved every minute of the class. Theresa - jump in with the trades - it was so much fun.