Followers

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Art and Soul Retreat - Virginia Beach - Steampunk Clock

Oh my, whatever is steam punk.   Hard to describe, but I like it.

When I decided to go to Virginia Beach, I kept chanting - REMEMBER YOU ARE TRAVELING BY PLANE.  Lots of classes that would have required me to go to a UPS Store (I didn't want to rent a car) to have it mailed home and the time I was doing that would prevent me from creating art.   Lots of choices on what to take and most would fit inside a suitcase.

My first class was with Erin Keck and the class was entitled Deconstructed/Reconstructed Steam punk Clock.    The basis of his clock was an antique travel clock that we took apart and had all the little screws, springs, gears etc.   Many weeks after I had signed up there was a very short little video of the project and I was delighted I had signed up for.

Here was my place with my materials laid out.   I had the antique travel clock, a bag of laser cut gears, glue and other little goodies.

 Here is my antique clock dismantled.    Looks kinda sad.  If anyone has any ideas for the case, let me know.  
 This was the piece that sort of held everything else together.   You won't find it in the finished project, but don't forget it, you will see it again.  
 Don't you love this little glass cabochon.   It has a clock glued behind it.   Had to do it early to allow for the glue to dry. 
We had our choice on clock works.   This kind that is totally self contained and just fit in the hole in the laser cut gear or one with hands.   Now I knew getting this home would be a chore, so I picked the self contained clock as the hands would be sure to get bent out of shape.   My past experience says they don't fix easily. 
 He is after several hours work.   Lots of gears put together.     I loved these laser cut gears.     
 Kinda done adding gears and looking for locations to put the metal gears. 
Here is the finished project.  You can see metal gears added, the black spring (be careful with them, they want to cut your fingers off when they spring back at you) and there are  few gun shell casings.  

Now - did it make it home well.   I found a box that I put it in, and then put bubble wrap around it.   One shell casing came off and a little glue put it right back on the clock.  

Now about glue.   I have all sort of glues and I found a new one.   Rhino glue.   Just a little bit will bond metal to wood, metal to metal and probably anything else including finger to finger.  

Love this clock.  



Stay tuned for the use for the main piece not used in this project.  

5 comments:

Theresa Merkling said...

Beautiful! Now I wish I had taken that class too LOL

You can't have it all... where would you put it?

Erin said...

You did a beautiful job. Thank you so much for documenting and sharing your experience.

Unknown said...

Theresa - the clock is sitting on a bookcase in the Living Room. Don't know if it will stay there, but so far it brings me great joy to look at it.

Jen Crossley said...

wow this looks awesome

Theresa Merkling said...

I just thought about the clock case - how about a mini book cover or possibly just a jointed photo cover... him and her ?