Followers

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Art and Soul Retreat - Viriginia Beach - Charms

Well this year I am crossing off some of the 'bucket list' items that I've always wanted to do.   The Art and Soul Retreats have always been high on the list and one thing after another has put it off.   It moved up a lot after I retired, but it still has taken me nearly 7 years to get my act together with time and commitment to do it.   This past week, I went to the Virginia Beach Retreat and had an absolutely terrific time.    Over the next few weeks I will post information on my time there and the classes I attended.
 
Before the event I found out that there was a charm group that were doing a Safari Themed charm exchange.   Well, I knew that was something I would enjoy so I signed up.   The group hovered around 12 for quite some time, so I made (after MUCH deliberation and consultation with friends) 14 swaps.   Not a problem.   Imagine my surprise that the swap closed at 19.   Made 6 more, thought I should keep an extra.   Got the 19 mailed off.    
 
The distribution was to be at a time that I would not be there so Julie gave them to me a day earlier.   It was very entertaining in my room going through them.    
 
I wondered how I would display them - Surprise!   How about a charm bracelet.   They are all ready to wear except one that is being mailed separately due to a couple of mix ups by the post office (but that is a whole different story).
 










Participating in swaps is very thought taxing.   What to make???   Will it measure up to other participants' work???   I have been doing swaps for miniatures for years and when joining a new group, those questions can almost be crippling.   The following picture was my first thought.   A tribe of very primitive people discovered on a safari. 
 

Like it, but it needed more.   Add the 'shell' feature.   Primitive tribal people use shells.   

 

 Sent the above pictures to one of my very gifted friends and asked her opinion.   She said to add the shell, more is better.  
14 charms made.  
 I was very happy with them; even happy with the others I had to make to come up with the 19 swaps.  
It was a very fun swap and I'm delighted that I participated.   Jumping into the mix is sometimes the hardest part of the project.  
 
 

2 comments:

Creative Soul Juice - Hobby Parent said...

What a beautiful charm bracelet! Loved participating in this swap. My second... first was last year and I cherish all these charms. Thanks for telling us about yours. Mine is silver leaf jungle vine. ~Hobby

jEaN said...

I loved your posts about VA Beach Art & Soul - well done! If you like to do charm swaps, you might like the Charmsters Yahoo Group. We usually have a fun swap or two going on. Right now there's a sign-up for a Steampunk swap. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/charmsters/
I will accept your application as soon as you request to join!'Jean