Followers

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Art and Soul Retreat - Viriginia Beach - Lisa Kaus - Gridlock

I have been following Lisa Kaus' work for years.   I love it and have even tried to imitate it.   Since she lives a long way away (Oregon) , I figured I would never get to take one of her classes.   Although I knew she did classes for Art and Soul, that remained a bucket list item for so long I wasn't sure it was going to happen.    When you see work and read articles about an artist, it isn't really close to seeing them work in person.    I wasn't sure that the wax she uses to cover her work would work here in Key West with our high humidity and year-round high temperatures.  I found out later that the was is a lot more stable than I ever thought.    When I first did try her style, I did a few pieces that I really liked and you can see that HERE.    When I finally figured that I would get to an Art and Soul Camp and saw that she was teaching 2 classes during the 3 days I was there, I signed up for both of them.  

The first was entitled GRIDLOCKED.   It was certainly fun. 

 A rough idea of how I was going to lay out my piece. 
 A little color added. 
 Lisa showing us how to add depth with water soluble crayons (I didn't know there was such a thing). 
 Had to use a Mary Englebreit paper doll on this piece.   Isn't she a cute little red head! 
 Making headway.   I like it.  
 Watching Lisa show how to add the embellishments.   
 Showing off with Marie Kennedy in the office area.   I really love this piece. 
Set up in my room so I can admire it.   (Along with some of the pendants I made).  

I am really so glad I could take Lisa's class.   It was fun, I learned lots of new things and tried a lot of new products.  

Just as a point of reference; Key West has a Ben Franklin and that is the only craft store within about 125 miles.   There is a Michael's just before you get into greater Miami and the Hobby Lobby is about 250 miles from me.   Most products I use are ordered mail order or I convince Ben Franklin to order it.    It is such a treat to be exposed to other products and see how they work. 



No comments: